Firefly Squid // Hotaru-Ika // ほたるいか
$32.50 inc GST
Hotaru-ika is bioluminescent organism with photophores – light producing organs – on it’s mantle, head, arms and tentacles. They thrive in Toyoma Bay because of the unique geography of the region that encourages it’s habitation. However, to prevent contamination form parasites, Hotaru-ika comes either boiled (all year round) or frozen (outside of spring).
- 200g per packet (comes frozen or boiled, depending on season)
- Suitable for consumption as Sashimi
- Other cooking methods: boiled with a Miso-vinaigrette (sumiso-ae), marinated and steamed, fried as karāge or pickled
- Weights provided are estimates and are dependent on the measurements of each catch – which see some pieces being smaller than others. We ensure that the minimum weights stated are met. Should you receive a larger piece, consider it your lucky day. Prices stated will be honoured.
- Images are for visual purposes only, and may or may not be representative of the actual size, weight or colour of the produce.
- When flashed, the light attracts small fish, which the squid can feed upon.
- Its flesh is usually quite soft and sweet.
- Freshly flown in twice weekly on Tuesdays and Fridays
Out of stock