Hotaru-ika is bioluminescent organism with photophores – light producing organs – on it’s mantle, head, arms and tentacles. They thrive in Toyoma Bay because of the unique geography of the region that encourages it’s habitation. However, to prevent contamination form parasites, Hotaru-ika comes either boiled or frozen. These are available for an extremely short window every Spring.
- 18 to 20 pcs per tray
- Taste & texture: soft and sweet
- Availability: March to June
- Suitable for consumption as Sashimi
- Other cooking methods: boiled with a Miso-vinaigrette (sumiso-ae), marinated and steamed, fried as karāge or pickled
- Weights provided are estimates and are dependent on the measurements of each catch – which see some pieces being smaller than others. We ensure that the minimum weights stated are met. Should you receive a larger piece, consider it your lucky day. Prices stated will be honoured.
- Images are for visual purposes only, and may or may not be representative of the actual size, weight or colour of the produce.